0

Why Keep an Art Journal By Dina wakley

"I sometimes read comments from people who don’t “get” art journaling. They wonder why people would take a blank book and fill it with images and words. I can’t answer for anyone else, but I feel compelled (creatively and emotionally) to art journal. It nurtures my soul–which sounds “new agey” and abstract, but it’s true.
I’ve kept a regular written journal since I was 9 years old (in fact, I still do). I’m a big believer in the value of keeping a journal. I have 18 volumes on my shelf. Sometimes I would sketch or draw in those journals. I’ve always been drawn to art and, eventually, when I was in my early 30s, I couldn’t keep the art suppressed any longer. I started keeping a visual journal in addition to my regular journal, and it fills a need I have for expression and creativity when words alone just don’t cut it. Plus, it’s just plain old fun.
I think artists (and that means you) all have different reasons for keeping journals. The reasons are very personal and individual, and could include:
  • To experiment with art techniques & ideas.
  • To get your thoughts & feelings out on paper in a creative way.
  • To document your life, your being.
  • To enjoy the process of creating.
Think about why you are going to start creating an art journal. And honestly, you don’t have to have any other reason than, “I want to.”

Dina Wakley

I Found this story at: Get It Scrapped

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top